I am very honoured to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by the amazingly talented Murder Tramp Birthday. She is one of the first bloggers I discovered when I joined WordPress and her beautiful, dark, raw and heart-wrenchingly honest writing almost had me convinced that I shouldn’t write; that I could never be the writer that she is. I am very glad I have persevered: she – and other bloggers that I admire a great deal – have taught me that there is room for many writers and countless writing styles. I sincerely hope that you check out her blog.
The rules are to answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you, post the answers on your blog, and then nominate seven more bloggers who must answer 11 new questions.
- Would you kill one person to save the lives of ten?
Wow, Henna – you don’t mess around with your questions… I mulled this one over in my head for days and I know that I just couldn’t murder one person, even if it meant saving 10. I would much prefer giving my own life to save the 10. Really.
- What are the names of your demons?
I have far too much fearful respect to ever name my demons out loud. Giving them a name would be to give them power (deep shudder…). I don’t even like talking about them.
- Ever smoked Marijuana?
Yup. I even recently wrote about this one: Mom, Did You Ever Take Drugs?
- Name a person who makes you believe in yourself.
My best friend. We met when I was a young, recently-divorced mother with good intentions but major self-esteem issues. The first words I recall her saying to me were “What a lovely mother you are!” Never had I needed to hear those words more than right at that moment in my life. We are – and always have been – connected on a soul level: she has lived in another province for over 10 years now and she still calls me when I am going through a rough time to ask me what’s wrong. She always knows… She has taught me how to be a better friend, a better person, a better mother, daughter, sister and spouse. I aspire daily to be the mentor that she has been for me.
- The name of the first person who made you question your sexuality?
This question stumped and troubled me, partly because I wasn’t exactly sure what you meant. I have never questioned my sexual orientation (?). I have questioned love – and my own worth as a person and as a woman. If that is what you meant, I’m afraid that is another name I never say aloud. Some people haven’t earned the right to be part of your oral history. And some names are best left buried…
- Do you ever doubt the existence of others than you? (Stole this one from Tumblr.)
I am far too pragmatic to doubt the existence of flesh and bone, standing in front of me. But I constantly doubt the sincerity, the honesty, the intentions and the motives of those around me. I am slow to trust and slower still to make friends but once I do, my loyalty and my love are for life (unless the person gives me reason to turn away from them, which rarely happens).
- What’s the last message you sent? (Fb, Whatsapp, whatever.)
A loving note to a beautiful young friend who came for a two-day visit with her dog and sent us a beautiful thank you note – and photo – on Facebook. We have come to the conclusion that she is definitely family but have decided not to put any further labels to whatever it is that we have unexpectedly built: all we know for sure is that she adopted me and my husband at the same time as we adopted her. Luckily, our dogs are absolute best buds and our cat decided that she will ignore the dogs if they ignore her. When our friend comes to visit, the dogs are creative with the sleeping arrangements: sometimes sleeping with our friend; sometimes snuggling up to me and my husband (I should mention that they are both good-sized dogs so the bed can get a bit crowded…). The cat would never deign to sleep with a dog (!!) so she sleeps in the spare room.
- In your opinion, was the Devil ever really evil?
Yes. And yes. I am 100% convinced that evil exits. And all we can do is try to stay out of its way…
- Favorite line in “Hallelujah?”
Just one??? That entire song is a masterpiece… If I must choose, the line(s) that always got me in this song are ‘But all I ever learned from love/ is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you’. It is such a hopeless line. I hope he (Leonard Cohen) found something better before he died.
- If your anxiety was a physical creature, what’d it look like?
I will say the same as I said for number 2: personifying my anxiety out loud would give it a life I have no desire to summon…
- If you were going to die and were allowed one last phone call, who would you call and what would you say?
Oh, boy, Henna: again, just one??? I would want to call my son, daughter and husband. I would want to hear their voices one last time. But picking one over the other would be an impossible choice. Also, because, leaving this earth with things unsaid is actually a great fear of mine, I do try to tell all three how I feel, all the time. I think I could trust that they know how I feel. I believe the person who would most need my call would be my sister. Having the chance to say good-bye; to reiterate how much I love her and how much she means to me would be a comfort for both of us.
- What three words best describe you?
- In your opinion, what are the best and the worst inventions the world has seen?
- Do you like reality TV shows? Why or why not? If so, which ones?
- Can you name an accomplishment that you are particularly proud of?
- Who is your oldest friend and how did you meet?
- What were you really into when you were a kid?
- What do you think of tattoos? Do you have any?
- What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
- If you were on a trip, what would be the worst place you could be stuck at for a whole week?
- What smell brings back great memories for you?
- If you could go back in time to any decade and stay for a week, which would you choose, and why?
My Nominees (no pressure – this is really a hats-off to a few of my favourite bloggers (I have not included the ones who have previously specifically asked not to be nominated): you are free to sit this one out if you prefer…I do hope the reader will check them out, though. These bloggers are all awesome):
- My Lil Place: https://mylilplace.com/
- Potatoes and the Promise of More Potatoes: https://morepotatoes.com/blog/
- It’s a Dog’s Life: https://dogtown.blog/
- A Voice from Iran: https://avoicefromiran.wordpress.com/
- Michael James: https://authormichaeljames.com/
- Lizardin Bain/ Unoriginal Love Notes: https://unoriginalnotes.com/
- Finding a Sober Miracle: https://asobermiracle.wordpress.com/2018/07/25/wanted-one-good-bartender/
Patti Moore Wilson © wednesdayschildca.wordpress.com